Research by both chemical suppliers and vinyl manufacturers have confirmed that wrinkles in swimming pool liners develop due to water absorption. The primary cause of water absorption is high levels of sanitizers - whether bromine or chlorine. Important secondary factors include pH levels and cyanuric acid stabilizer levels because they control the activity of the sanitizer.
Listed below are the recommended levels of these important chemicals in your pool if you want to avoid water absorption and a wrinkled liner.
- pH Levels - maintain pH between 7.2 to 7.6 ppm
- Free Chlorine - maintain free chlorine between 1.5 and 2.5 ppm
- Total Alkalinity - maintain alkalinity levels between 80 to 120 ppm
- Calcium Hardness - Maintain minimum calcium level of 200 ppm
- Stabilizer - maintain Stabilizer level between 20 to 50 ppm
Some other tips to keep your liner free of damage and wrinkles.
- Allow each chemical to circulate throughout the pool before adding a second chemical. Certain levels of chemical combinations can bleach your liner.
- Never cover your pool if your free chlorine levels are about 2.5 ppm. This could cause wrinkling.
- If you employ an automatic pool cover or a solar blanket, it is recommended to be removed or retracted once daily in order to allow chlorine concentration build up to dissipate.
- Vacuum and clean the pool with a cleaner designed for vinyl lined pools.
Thank you for reading! If you have any other questions, feel free to call Del Suppo Pools at 724-379-5066 or stop into our show room at 26 McKean Ave. Donora, PA. 15033!